Today I went to the launch of the Lambeth Conference at Lambeth Palace.
I arrived wearing a suit and sensible shoes. I was ushered into the presence of the gatekeeper (we’ll call him ‘Saint Peter’) where a book was opened and an A4 sheet was perused, but alas, my name was not found on the list. I was sent into a purgatorial waiting room where I chatted to one or two others whose names were found not to be on the scroll.
Eventually we were summoned forth and escorted to the press conference where there was coffee and mingling time. I sat near the back as I am not a journalist, which is fair enough really. My pictures are therefore not brilliant, but not bad considering they were taken on my mobile phone.
There were various speeches introducing the forthcoming Lambeth Conference. I’ll provide links at the end. This photo is Archbishop Rowan Williams (and a man in the way).
This is Jane Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury’s wife, and Margaret Sentamu, wife of the Archbishop of York. They are introducing the spouses conference. Unfortunately this is the best shot I have as it was very dark.
There were then questions, before the bishops went outside to assemble for photographs. There were a lot of bishops, as the delegates from a ‘So, you’re a new bishop‘ course for new bishops were present.
The press taking pictures of the bishops. A few of them were talking at the back.
A closer-up shot showing the various styles of dress.
Afterwards there was a bit of time for mingling to resume. It was good to meet Ruth Gledhill and Joanna Sugden from the Times and also Simon of Thinking Anglicans. And then, as if that wasn’t enough I had the privilege of being taken to briefly meet the Archbishop of Canterbury himself in another bit of the palace. My role at the Lambeth Conference wasn’t mentioned in the press conference of course as I am but a tiny cog in the workings, so it was really good to be introduced.
I really must do some drawing practice.
OK, some links. This is the official page with the text of the presentations by the Archbishop of Canterbury and Mrs Jane Williams:
Some news reports:
- Six hundred bishops sign up for Lambeth despite threats of schism -Times Online
- Gay ‘climate of controversy’ clouds Anglican gathering | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited
- Ruth Gledhill – Times Online – WBLG: The importance of Archbishop Ernest
- Christian Today > Homosexuality ‘clouded’ Anglican Communion
- Plans Move Forward for Anglican Meeting Amid Conflict | Christianpost.com
- Thinking Anglicans: Lambeth Conference launched
- An Inch At A Time: Reflections on the Journey: Lambeth "Launched"
- Episcopal Life Online has some audio. Also some ‘bishops walking’ photos, as does The Lead.
- Much grumpiness in the comments on both Titusonenine and Stand Firm.
- Only Connect: Lambeth Conference in no sense a law making body.
- Wounded Bird: Planning For Lambeth 2008
- Bishop Alan’s Blog: The Morning After: Indaba or Prozac?
- An Exercise in the Fundamentals of Orthodoxy » Blog Archive » Did Rowan Williams just undermine Lambeth ‘98 1:10?
- Bishop Alan’s Blog: Ten Rules for cooking up a Gay Schism
Today has been a long day, and I’m aware that I haven’t said anything about the content of the press conference and the questions that followed. I hope to do more of that sort of thing over the coming days and weeks, but in the meantime I’ll continue to post links to other people’s reports in this post.