This programme was on Channel 4 this evening. A summary of the views expressed by the programme in my own words:
- Global warming is real, but not manmade.
- The warming of the earth causes the CO2 variaton, not the other way around.
- Human beings are in the single digits of co2 production. A lot more is produced by volcanos, dead leaves and in particular the sea.
- The sun is the main cause of the temperature change.
- In the 1970s we thought there would be global cooling and we turned out to be wrong.
- A lot of people have a vested interest in global warming being true.
- Why should we make the developing world use the most expensive technology when we have benefitted from the cheap polluting kind.
However, having done a litle bit of research there is reason to be sceptical. The progamme was made by someone called Martin Durkin, who has a history of being anti-the environmental movement. After a previous programme he made for Channel 4 the station to issue an apology as it turned out that the programme was nonsense.
Here are some links from the newspapers:
- Guardian Unlimited | Comment is free | Why Channel 4 has got it wrong over climate change
- Independent Online Edition > Climate Change
The programme was quite persuasive, but I am fully aware that it is possible to make a persuasive film saying all sorts of things to suit ones own agenda and still be wrong.
I’d be interested to hear other people’s views.
Update: Further news reports.
- Comment is free: Noxious emissions
- Zoe Williams on last night’s TV | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited