Christingles again – this time in Chelmsford cathedral (my local) where there has been a mild to-do. Here is a link that talk about it:
This is what MP Eric Pickles had to say:
Eventually, they will work out a way to take all the fun out of Christmas… Health and safety will ban everything. I would be kind of interested to hear when the last time an orange and a candle set fire to a child’s hair.”
I think my answer would be that it is rare for oranges to set light to a child’s hair, but not so rare for candles to do so if hair is placed very close to them. But as he is only ‘kind of interested’ I will not be using my valuable time to contact him about it.
This report talks about ‘flaming candles’, which do sound a bit scary and dangerous to me.
I note that the Childrens Society are now promoting the glow candles with a website called Glow Candles. This fits in quite well with my Church Times cartoon tomorrow which the citizens of this blog had a hand in helping with. I am not going to give anything away, but it is not on an unrelated topic.
If you have been injured by a glow candle please write in so we can get a good debate going.