Whenever I go to a dentist the final words of the encounter are usually the same. ‘Keep brushing’ he (and it always does seem to be a he when I go, though there are as many female dentists I’m sure) says, just as I’m heading out of the door. I’m not sure if dentists say this to all their parishioners or whether I am the only one who they say it to. I fear it is the latter and that I am being told off in a gentle sort of a way. People often tell me off in a gentle sort of a way.
Therefore this morning I have been undergoing my new ‘pre dentist’ routine in preparation for my 11 o’clock appointment. I have written it here for your edification. The items in brackets are necessary but non-essential.
- [Get up]
- Brush teeth as one does in the morning
- Use mouthwash for additional plaque removal and fresh breath
- [Have breakfast]
- Brush teeth to remove traces of breakfast
- Use mouthwash to assist in additional removal of traces of breakfast and for continued freshness
- Hot coffee which will help to burn away any further impurities that remain
- Brush teeth to remove traces of coffee
- Use mouthwash for additional removal of traces of coffee and for final pre-dental freshening.
There, let us see whether I am still reminded to ‘keep brushing’.
Yes, I know I could have flossed too. But it is not as if I am obsessive about this or anything.